RSS

MdS 2011 – Day 8, Stage 4 – Reflections on 48 hours

April 07
MdS 2011 – Day 8, Stage 4 – Reflections on 48 hours

Two days ago, after Stage 3 I was humbled.

My friends from the Rahal team, Mustapha (6) and Brahim (7), were in my tent when I arrived back after Stage 3 when I was an emotional wreck. They were incredible. Both reached for my backpack immediately and took everything from me. Helped me to lie down and TOOK OFF MY SHOES!! What does one say to such generosity of spirit and camaraderie?

Mustapha has just come to find me, now that I have finished the long day, and tells me he came 4 times to our tent through the night to check that I had come in. There are times words completely fail me and this is one such time; The big local Moroccan hero searching out the lowly Liz Pomeroy to find out if she is still alive!

NOT a dune day....

Still, never before have I done 82km and I can say I am delighted with my first.

It was 45 °C midday yesterday, 13 hours before a proper refueling at CP4. I Tried going on but 3 km after I was just stumbling around kicking my already huge toenail which I will lose soon!

I slept under the stars between CP4 and CP5 and woke at 4:30 am. What a treat to watch the sun come up in the desert.

I Managed to run between CP5 and CP6, and then between CP6 to the end, and to say I was delighted would be a bit of an understatement after everything.

It was so tough though.

The Bivouacs came into sight long before there was any chance of sprinting to them – turning the final corner it may have been, but they still seemed to be half a race away for a long time.

I have never been so filthy (luckily we are all in the same boat) and all I can think about now is having four showers and then my love’s face along with our children Joshua, Morgan, Luke and Savannah at the airport. I think that moment will be the end of me. I will be in bits. Again!

Two more days then back to Ouarzazate.

How time flies.

Posted by on April 7, 2011 in Running

7 Comments

Tags: , , ,

7 responses to “MdS 2011 – Day 8, Stage 4 – Reflections on 48 hours

1. jean bodenhamNo Gravatar

April 7, 2011 at 10:56 pm

Fabulous, fabulous Liz. I was so worried for you with your deadlines looming and then got home from collecting Lorna to find that you had done it all with ages to spare. What an achievement! One small marathon and you are home. What will you do next for kicks?! jx

2. Tracy Harington HawesNo Gravatar

April 8, 2011 at 12:40 am

Wow, wow, wow!

3. Mum & DadNo Gravatar

April 8, 2011 at 6:58 am

What a wonderful thing it is to have such camaderie. We thought you must have stopped somewhere between 4 and 5 because of the time.
    And what spirit you are showing. Downhill now!!!
    God bless and all our love as ever. x x x x x x x

4. timNo Gravatar

April 8, 2011 at 7:21 am

What an amazing experience and story………the sort that truly is never forgotten. Mustapha and Brahim, presently in 6th and 17th places in the race OVERALL. This race a MASSIVE event in Marrocco and these guys real HUGE local heroes.The comeraderie engendered is a large part of what makes this race so special but in fairness here also Liz, such an experienece is a testement to your openess and friendliness as no doubt that first interaction was initiated by you, when you had NO IDEA who you were befriending or sitting down to share food with. Mustapha and Brahim came back in appreciation of what I believe was considered a nice gesture by this English girl, before the start of the race when these local heroes were just two anonymous blokes in a queue waiting to be served. ………………….Today is the last REAL day, a standard 42.2km Marathon stage. Continue to go well , enjoy the desert and make some more wonderful memories as the stages roll on towards the finish tomorrow, where I hope the webcam will allow us to view the finish line as it has done all through the race . [Highly recommended for all those following this from all over the world. Patrick Bauer, the charismatic organiser who FIRST took this type of “trip” through Marrocco and then turned it into this event, so that many more could savour the experience, has always PERSONALLY placed the medals around the necks of ALL the finishers as they cross the final line and it is a highly emotionally charged experience for everyone [some more than others and there are TEARS!!!!!! ]……….click on the “Webcam DIRECT box after scrolling down a little on the main race website via http://www.darbaroud.com ]

5. timNo Gravatar

April 8, 2011 at 7:35 am

PS Sorry to use you BLOG as a notice board Liz…….but for all those not terribly computer literate and who get easily confused [like ME], make sure after clicking on the “WEBCAM DIRECT” BOX on the http://www.darbaroud.com websight, that you SCROLL DOWN again, as the webcam does not automatically come into view unless you do.

6. Niqui du PlessisNo Gravatar

April 8, 2011 at 7:41 am

I find myself reading your blog with tears streaming down my face. There is no doubt in my mind that the local hero’s Mustapha and Brahim sensed the strength and determination that is your incredible self from the very second that they met you. Your experience out there in the Sahara desert is re-inforcing my renewed belief that we as people everywhere are for the most part good and kind. And that we will move mountains for each other whether we know each other or not. So good luck for today beautiful woman. May you have wings on your feet, and a gentle breeze at your back and may the desert be kind to you. Check in with you later :) lots of love X

7. KellyNo Gravatar

April 8, 2011 at 10:13 am

Hi Liz

Every time I read your blog I get goose bumps and then I try to think of something inspiring to say and THEN I think WHAT the @#$%^ would make someone enjoy doing this. ? Well done my friend, I know you have your reasons, challenges and yes I’m VERY proud to know someone who is crazy enough to run all day in + 40degrees, fight with her inner being and accomplish her goals. Sir Donald Pain would be proud of you… Lots of Love…. Kel – please laugh out load and remember the ‘good ole days’ x x x